Saturday, September 5, 2009

My 1st NYC hot dog..many years ago




When I first moved to NYC 12 years ago I was introduced to Gray's Papaya. Two dogs and a drink, back then $1.99. You can't beat that. Gray's are served on a semi-toasted bun, with a choice of onions, relish, sauerkraut, ketchup or mustard. The best thing about these dogs is the "snap". I go for the ketchup/mustard combo, because the meat is really good and all I want to taste. They are served pretty hot, with a wonderful bite, and you can hear the snap once bitten into. And the best part for me: guaranteed attached to the dog is the little nub link where they were once joined, a nibbler's delight! Juicy and delicious. The drinks served are very fresh, pina colada, banana daquiri or papaya. A true gourmet delight for the NYC hot dog lover. And eating two doesn't make you feel stuffed at all! I love how the signs also bill Gray's dogs as "Recession Special", which has been a sign up for many years. After all these years, they still remain my favorite and are a definite spot to take any tourists, friends, visitors for the best NYC dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment